Everyone Is Still A Scammer presented by Michael Goldstein at Bit Block Boom.
Blog post by Cousin Edgar Stumblefield.
President of Satoshi Nakamoto Institute
- I am a monetary maximalist
- Monetary maximalism is fundamentally descriptive, not prescriptive
- The claim is this: in a free market of competing currencies, one tends to dominate the rest.
- The more people use a particular medium of exchange, the better, because it means having bitcoins give you access to more economic opportunities
- Bitcoin will be the dominant medium
- If Bitcoin goes to the moon, each coin will be worth a lot (bears tend to think maybe $10 million per coin in today's purchasing power)
- Hodling is a test of time preference and personal values
- There is no correct answer, but there are endless wrong ones
Merchants Are Scammers
- “Spend your bitcoins!” they say. “It will help the network grow!”
- Reality: spending may have been good for initial bootstrappping and market exposure (think Silk Road), but it does not create liquidity
- Hodling is what increases the price and value of bitcoins
- If a merchant wants your bitcoins, the important thing here is that someone is demanding bitcoins, not that you spent it ( and that's assuming they even hodl themselves)
Medium of Exchange
- Medium of exchange is a good purchased for the purposes of indirect exchange
- Method of payment is the means by which to transfer this good in trade
- Medium of exchange does not equal method of payment
- “Store of value” is trading present value of a good for the future value of the good, colloquially over a long time period
- Store of value is not so distinct from medium of exchange
Altcoins are bad, even when they are “good”
- Any investment must outperform Bitcoin
- Track record is terrible
- In 2014, I didn't even know if Ethereum woud actually launch, I was wrong
- However, while it has been a great short term investment, a Bitcoin maximalist should think to himself:
- Can this beat Bitcoin as a money?
- If yes, carefully consider
- If no, pay no attention
Multicoining as Distraction Maximalism
- There are approximately 52,182,734,926 cryptocurrencies out there. I counted
- One will tend to dominate the whole market (and one does)
- You cannot possibly keep up with all of them
- Cryptocurrency, even whe masquerading as appcoins or ICOs, are currencies and compete as such
- If they can't win on those grounds, they are useless
- Any time spent looking into plagiarized whitepapers is time not spent cultivating a winning network (or even just living a life), whether through development, education, evangelism, or some other productive venture
The Limits of Hodling
- Portfolio maximalism – a true Bitcoin maximalist puts as much of his portfolio into Bitcoin as possible
- Reality: everyone has different values and time preferences
- If all someone wanted was a lambo, and now they can afford it, then they succeeded, even if they could have had 20 in the future
- Be an investor, not a gambler
- If you lose sleep, you invested too much
- The important thing is to determine what you truly want in life, and lose all distractions. Lower your time preference by zeroing in on your long term goals
- If you don't, someone is out there to scam you out of your potential
- Bitcoin offers a once-in-history opportunity. Do not take it lightly
- Focus on what you truly value, and work towards those goals
- Don't scam yourself
Satoshi Nakamoto Institute: https://nakamotoinstitute.org
Noded Bitcoin Podcast: https://noded.org
Michael Goldstein – (a.k.a Bitstein) founder and president of the Satoshi Nakamoto Institute. Michael co-host's the Noded Bitcoin Podcast. Also curates resources related to all-meat, carnivorous diets at justmeat.co.
Thanks for joining Hall Of Fame Podcaster Gary Leland .
If you enjoyed this article, you’ll love keeping up with the latest episode every week.
Subscribe to the podcast on iTunes HERE
Find more ways to subscribe to the podcast HERE
You can show your support @ Patreon.com/CryptoCousins
You can show your support with Bitcoin or another Crypto @ CryptoCousins.com/Donate
I use the Trezor Wallet to secure my crypto CryptoCousins.com/Trezor
I also use the Binance Exchange CryptoCousins.com/Binance
Receive $10 worth of Bitcoin FREE when you open an account with Coinbase @ CryptoCousins.com/Coinbase
If you wish to show you support with Crypto CLICK HERE
YouTube - CryptoCousins.com/YouTube
Pinterest - CryptoCousins.com/Pinterest
Facebook Group - CryptoCousins.com/FacebookGroup
Facebook Page - CryptoCousins.com/Facebook
Instagram - CryptoCousins.com/Instagram
Twitter - CryptoCousins.com/Twitter
Reddit - CryptoCousins.com/Reddit
Telegram - CryptoCousins.com/Telegram
Linked In - CryptoCousins.com/LinkedIn
Tumblr - CryptoCousins.com/Tumblr
Bit.Tube - CryptoCousins.com/Bittube
Gary is available to emcee your Bitcoin/Crypto event. Please email GaryLeland@gmail.com for additional info.
DISCLAIMER: This article is not intended to provide, investment advice. Please conduct your own thorough research before investing in any cryptocurrency.